May, 2020 update:
Santander Bank and Ally are experiencing technical issues that prevent NerdWallet members from linking accounts from those banks. A fix is underway but at this time we can't offer an estimate for when it will be available.
We'll update this article as soon as these issues are resolved.
If you’re seeing an error message when you try to link your bank account to your NerdWallet account, there are a few possible causes.
Here are the steps we recommend to get your account connected:
- Un-link the account and wait 48 hours, then try again to re-link. When you do this, please do not click "unlink" if the connection continues to fail. Leaving the account in the connecting stage will help me continue to troubleshoot the issue.
- Check your bank account credentials again, even if you’re very sure that they’re correct. Remember that passwords are typically case-sensitive, so please check and be sure you have the credentials 💯before attempting to link again.
- Check with your bank to be sure that there’s no additional verification required on their end to link accounts to third-party sites like NerdWallet.
If you're still running into trouble after completing these steps, our support team is happy to help troubleshoot the issue, but will need some details from you about what you’re experiencing since we can only see a limited amount of information about your NerdWallet account on our end.
Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org that includes the following information and we’ll do our best to find a solution:
- The name of the bank and type of account you’re trying to link (checking, savings, credit card, etc.)
- The exact text of the error message you’re receiving. Screenshots of what you’re seeing can be helpful as well.
- Which of the above troubleshooting steps you've already tried without success.